30-Jan-2023 | Facts and Factors
According to Facts and Factors, the global yeast market size was worth around USD 5 billion in 2021 and is predicted to grow to around USD 7 billion by 2030 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of roughly 8.79% between 2022 and 2030.
Yeast is a fungus and there are several different types of yeasts with each one having its own set of applications across industries. Some yeasts are used in the food industry where they are used to prepare baked goods while some are applied in the beverage sector of brewing alcohol.
Browse the full “Yeast Market Size, Share, Growth Analysis Report By Application (Bioethanol, Food & Beverages, Feed, and Pharmaceuticals), By Form (Active Dry Yeast, Fresh Yeast, Instant Yeast, and Others), By Type (Brewer’s Yeast, Baker’s Yeast, Feed Yeast, Wine Yeast, Bioethanol Yeast, and Others), and By Region - Global and Regional Industry Insights, Overview, Comprehensive Analysis, Trends, Statistical Research, Market Intelligence, Historical Data and Forecast 2022 – 2030" report at https://www.fnfresearch.com/yeast-market
Candida, a type of yeast that grows inside the human body, grows out of proportion and may lead to an infection. Yeast is required for a healthy digestive system because when present in the right amount it can help maintain the performance accuracy in the immune system. The reproduction process in yeast occurs by mitosis and many asymmetric multiplication processes may also occur by a process called budding.
There are multiple applications of yeast across industries and the global market growth looks promising in the coming years. In the food business, yeast is used for multiple reasons including food preservation, health benefits, and flavor enhancement. It helps in the creation of a chemical conservation process that helps break down glucose anaerobically.
The global yeast market is expected to grow due to the increasing use of single-celled microorganisms in the agriculture industry where it is used as a food additive. There are several products present in the industry that consist of yeast, either in dead or alive form and in varying quantities.
In animal feed, yeasts help in providing the right amount of protein along with amino acid, micronutrient content, and energy as compared to normal animal feed. Yeast-based fodder can effectively aid rumen fermentation which assists in improving nutrient digestion in animals while reducing the risk of rumen acidosis. The collective impact of such measures helps to enhance animal performance.
The global market growth may further be propelled by the growing demand in the baked goods industry due to the rise in population and increasing access to bakery products. These food products are preferred and liked by people of all age groups either as a full meal or in the form of a snack. The growing number of research activities in the bakery segment is expected to help in more demand creation in the coming years.
The global market growth may face certain restrictions due to the stringent regulations surrounding the use of yeast in the food sector as well as the feed industry. For instance, in 2016, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India made amendments to the rules regulating food additives.
Other important factors that could potentially damage the global market growth are the complications arising in the proper storage of yeast and it can easily be killed in case it is not stored under the right conditions leading to ingredient wastage. The main concern for the global market players arises when transporting yeast across international borders.
The growing investment in yeast-reinforced recombinant protein technology could provide growth opportunities while the higher capital gain desirability may challenge the market expansion.
The global yeast market is segmented based on application, form, type, and region.
- Based on application, the global market is divided into bioethanol, food & beverages, feed, and pharmaceuticals.
- In 2021, the global market was dominated by the food & beverages industry owing to the growing demand for baked food products due to factors like a rise in population, a growing number of players including domestic & international businesses, a rise in disposable income, and product innovations along with the addition of multiple vertical segments of the already existing products in the business.
- In simple bread recipes, yeast quantity should not be more than 1 to 1.5% of the flour weight
- Based on form, the global market is segmented into active dry yeast, fresh yeast, instant yeast, and others.
- In 2021, the highest revenue in the global market was generated in the active dry yeast segment due to several applications of the yeast type
- Active dry yeast is a dry yeast that has to be activated before it is put to use whereas instant yeast can be put to application as soon as the seal is broken
- To activate dry yeast it has to be put in a bowl with warm water and a pinch of sugar for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Europe is expected to lead the global yeast market with Germany dominating the region as it is the consumer of almost 59% of the regional artisan and industrial yeast applications. The growth is projected to be driven by the growing use of yeast in the animal feed segment. Growth in North America could be encouraged by the rise in research & development activities surrounding yeast and its uses in the pharmaceutical industry as well as the rise in demand for bakery products. Changing consumer lifestyle habits is a major advantage in the view of regional growth. China is anticipated to lead growth in Asia-Pacific since it is one of the largest regional exporters of yeast in the international market.
Market Size in 2021
USD 5 Billion
Projected Market Size in 2030
USD 7 Billion
CAGR Growth Rate
Key Market Players
Lantmännen Unibake, Dun & Bradstreet Inc, Associated British Foods PLC, General Mills Inc., Vandemoortele NV, Cole’s Quality Food Inc, ADM, Daiya Foods Inc, and others.
By Application, Form, Type, and Region
Major Regions Covered
North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East &, Africa
Request customized purchase options to meet your research needs. Explore purchase options
The global yeast market is led by players like Lantmännen Unibake, Dun & Bradstreet, Inc, Associated British Foods PLC, General Mills Inc., Vandemoortele NV, Cole’s Quality Food Inc, ADM, and Daiya Foods Inc amongst others.
- In January 2023, Johnson Brothers, a distributor of wine, spirits, and beer announced a partnership with Provi, the world's leading eCommerce platform catering services to the alcohol & beverages sector. The collaboration is intended to help Johnson Brothers sell their products online in the regions of Florida, Wisconsin, and Nevada
- In June 2022, Lesaffre, the largest producer of yeast in the world, announced the construction of a new facility in Brazil. The unit is expected to open for operations in 2024
The global yeast market is segmented as follows:
- Food & Beverages
- Active Dry Yeast
- Fresh Yeast
- Instant Yeast
- Brewer’s Yeast
- Baker’s Yeast
- Feed Yeast
- Wine Yeast
- Bioethanol Yeast
- North America
- The UK
- Nordic Countries
- Benelux Union
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
Facts & Factors is a leading market research organization offering industry expertise and scrupulous consulting services to clients for their business development. The reports and services offered by Facts and Factors are used by prestigious academic institutions, start-ups, and companies globally to measure and understand the changing international and regional business backgrounds. Our client’s/customer’s conviction on our solutions and services has pushed us in delivering always the best. Our advanced research solutions have helped them in appropriate decision-making and guidance for strategies to expand their business.
Facts & Factors
A 2108, Sargam,
Pune 411041, India
USA: +1 (347) 690-0211
Email: [email protected]