30-Jan-2023 | Facts and Factors
According to Facts and Factors, the global athletic footwear market size was worth around USD 127.31 billion in 2021 and is predicted to grow to around USD 196.5 billion by 2030 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of roughly 5% between 2022 and 2030.
An athlete is a person who participates or competes in sports events involving endurance, physical strength, and speed. Athletic footwear is designed to meet the specific requirements of sports persons which are influenced by the sport itself. Every physical activity has a set of physical strains that it lays on the person performing the event.
Browse the full “Athletic Footwear Market Size, Share, Growth Analysis Report By End-User (Women, Men, and Kids), By Type (Aerobic Shoes, Running Shoes, Trekking & Hiking Shoes, Sport Shoes, Walking Shoes, and Others), By Distribution Channel (Brand Stores, E-commerce, Supermarkets & Hypermarkets, Local Stores, and Others), and By Region - Global and Regional Industry Insights, Overview, Comprehensive Analysis, Trends, Statistical Research, Market Intelligence, Historical Data and Forecast 2022 – 2030" report at https://www.fnfresearch.com/athletic-footwear-market
For instance, running shoes are designed to provide the extra comfort needed by a runner and hence they have extra padding or cushioning in the heel section of the shoe that is essential to fight the pressure generated on the legs when running on a hard surface.
On the other hand, shoes meant for soccer do not have much cushioning since soccer players have to play multiple functions apart from running. Soccer shoes have to be rigid starting from the toe section to the heel but flexible at the part where the foot bends in width. They have to fit the athlete perfectly to ensure that each connection between the foot and the ball is powerful and accurate.
The global athletic footwear market is expected to grow due to several factors with the major driving force being the excellent and exhaustive marketing activities undertaken by the current dominant players in the segment. Companies like Nike, Adidas, Under Armor, and Puma to name a few have multiple collaborations over the years of their existence to enter and explore new markets, especially the developing nations where there is significant growth in the disposable income of the population.
Growing brand awareness, rise in sports activities and participants, adoption of sports or recreational activity in school and college extracurricular activities along with high insistence of educational curriculum on the overall development of the child are other factors that are expected to influence the global market growth in the coming years.
The e-commerce business is projected to help the global market players obtain higher revenue during the forecast period since factors like attractive discount policies and higher reach to more brand options are attracting a large segment of the population toward athletic brands including footwear.
A major factor that may largely influence the global athletic footwear industry's growth is the rising awareness amongst the population about the malpractices conducted by the majority of the global market giants in terms of environmental and labor laws.
Most of these companies have production units set up in low-income countries and there have been several reported incidents highlighting the concerns regarding labor exploitation and neglecting environmental laws since the countries do not have strict regulatory means in place to monitor these companies. A large segment of people is now choosing to consciously not purchase brands that do not follow the right code of conduct.
The growing number of popular personalities entering the market could provide growth opportunities whereas the growing presence of counterfeit sellers may act as a major challenge.
The global athletic footwear market is segmented based on end-user, type, distribution channel, and region.
- Based on end-user, the global market is segmented as women, men, and kids.
- In 2021, the global market was dominated by the men's segment and is expected to continue with its growth trend with the women segment contributing significantly during the forecast period
- Although the number of women undertaking sports and recreational activities is growing consistently over the year, numerically the ratio of men to women visiting sports centers is higher in favor of men
- As per Gauthmath, the said ratio stands at 14:9
- Based on type, the global market is divided into aerobic shoes, running shoes, trekking & hiking shoes, sports shoes, walking shoes, and others.
- In 2021, the highest CAGR was observed in the running shoes segment due to the increased number of people who chose to undertake open-air activities during the lockdown impositions restriction closed sports centers from operating
- Running is by far one of the most preferred choices of outdoor sports activity
- A 2017 report by Eurostat concluded that almost 40% of Europeans spent almost 2.5 hrs weekly on some kind of physical sport
North America is anticipated to lead the global athletic footwear market mainly driven by the high number of people including men, women, and children that participate in some form of sports activity. Some of the common everyday sports in the US are tennis, basketball, and golf. Growth in Europe is expected to be driven by high brand awareness and the growing importance of physical health propelling more people to exercise regularly. The presence of a large number of high-income groups and the general tendency of the population to purchase branded footwear could lead to more regional revenue. Asia-Pacific is set to register significant growth mainly driven by the growing e-commerce business and the rising population.
Market Size in 2021
USD 127.31 Billion
Projected Market Size in 2030
USD 196.5 Billion
CAGR Growth Rate
Key Market Players
ASICS Corporation, Reebok International Ltd., Under Armour Inc., Nike Inc., Adidas AG, Lotto Sport Italia S.p.A, and others.
By End-User, Type, Distribution Channel, and Region
Major Regions Covered
North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East &, Africa
Request customized purchase options to meet your research needs. Explore purchase options
The global active footwear market is dominated by players like ASICS Corporation, Reebok International Ltd., Under Armour, Inc., Nike, Inc., Adidas AG, Lotto Sport Italia S.p.A, and others.
- In January 2022, Tata Cliq, an Indian e-commerce company, announced the launch of a new athletic footwear brand called Hoka One One on its luxury segment platform. The new range offers sneakers, running shoes, and slip-on with around 60 different types of shoe designs
- In December 2021, World Athletics reported that the rules surrounding running shoes used in Olympic events will be tightened after the Paris Olympics to be held in 2024. The move is influenced by the general observation that foam and carbon soles are helping in improving performance. The association will be conducting post-race spot checks by introducing new show control processes
The global athletic footwear market is segmented as follows:
- Aerobic Shoes
- Running Shoes
- Trekking & Hiking Shoes
- Sport Shoes
- Walking Shoes
By Distribution Channel
- Brand Stores
- Supermarkets & Hypermarkets
- Local Stores
- North America
- The UK
- Nordic Countries
- Benelux Union
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
Facts & Factors is a leading market research organization offering industry expertise and scrupulous consulting services to clients for their business development. The reports and services offered by Facts and Factors are used by prestigious academic institutions, start-ups, and companies globally to measure and understand the changing international and regional business backgrounds. Our client’s/customer’s conviction on our solutions and services has pushed us in delivering always the best. Our advanced research solutions have helped them in appropriate decision-making and guidance for strategies to expand their business.
Facts & Factors
A 2108, Sargam,
Pune 411041, India
USA: +1 (347) 690-0211
Email: [email protected]