23-May-2023 | Facts and Factors
According to the Facts & Factors report, the global online poker market size was worth around USD 76.7 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 170.12 billion by 2030 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of roughly 12.5% between 2023 and 2030.
The online poker industry refers to the different types of services and platforms used to provide a digital form of poker to players globally. In such activities, poker players can play a game from the comfort of their homes using digital devices and may use either virtual money or real money. It includes a wide range of mobile applications, poker websites, and other types of software programs that offer events, games, tournaments, and competitions related to poker, a popular card game with millions of players across the globe.
Some of the most popular service providers are Seven-Card Stud, Omaha, and Texas Hold’em. Over the last few years, the industry has registered tremendous growth with the rapid rate of globalization and digitization allowing more people access to digital forms of entertainment and games.
Browse the full “Online Poker Market Size, Share, Growth Analysis Report By Device Type (Mobile and Desktop), By End-User (Dabblers, Social Exuberant, and Gambling Enthusiasts), and By Region - Global and Regional Industry Insights, Overview, Comprehensive Analysis, Trends, Statistical Research, Market Intelligence, Historical Data and Forecast 2023 – 2030” report at https://www.fnfresearch.com/online-poker-market
In recent times, the number of people choosing online games over brick-and-mortar platforms has increased at a rapid rate. The online poker market is getting more competitive with every passing year due to the addition of new players along with the growing adoption of technology to enhance user experience.
The global online poker market is projected to grow owing to the influence of social media over the general population. These platforms have played a key role in popularizing various online portals for poker since they currently are one of the best marketing tools available to reach a larger pool of potential consumers.
Furthermore, the growing use of the internet along with higher accessibility to smart devices due to the growing number of products and associated financial assistance, along with the surging rate at which advanced technology is adopted to improve the overall experience of online poker players could add to higher revenue during the projection period.
In addition to this, the rising rate of the online gaming industry’s globalization is important for the market player. Online poker, in a limited time, has become a global phenomenon due to the rapid rise in awareness and interest rate of the players. Moreover, the businesses operating in the industry have adopted various innovative payment methods that sometimes work in the favor of the user like cashback, discounts, credits, and other incentives thus attracting more players.
However, the online poker industry also deals with multiple restraints or growth limiting factors with the critical concern being the legalization of online poker games in various economies. While some nations recognize online poker and associated events as legal entities and are highly regulated leading to the creation of a safer space, there are certain countries that have banned these activities as they are seen as harmful elements toward society.
Furthermore, ensuring that the platforms are secure and do not pose any risk of cybersecurity attacks is another major restriction in the industry. These platforms not only store the personal information of the players but also have bank information and other payment-related details. This information can be compromised in case of cyber-attacks or malware infections.
The growing investment in technology may provide excellent growth opportunities whereas irresponsible gambling is a major threat to the future of the market.
The global online poker market is segmented based on device type, end-user, and region.
Based on device type, the global market is segmented into mobile and desktop.
- In 2022, the highest growth was observed in the mobile segment majorly driven by the increasing shift in consumer preference leading to higher reliability and use of mobile devices for almost all purposes
- Furthermore, since smartphones are relatively lesser priced as compared to desktops, the consumer database for mobile devices is higher than the counterparts which are further encouraged by the presence of more device providers
- Alongside, mobile devices offer ease of use and can be accessed on the go unlike desktops or laptops
- A recent 2021 report by Statista claims that the number of smartphone users is likely to reach 3.8 billion in the coming years whereas the same number of laptops would be around 1.5 billion
Based on end-users, the global market segments are dabblers, social exuberant, and gambling enthusiasts.
- The global market registered the highest CAGR in the gambling enthusiasts segment since they are generally the largest set of the consumer across digital gaming platforms
- Since most of these players tend to have a strong set of skills and understanding of traditional gambling, they tend to have better chances of winning a game
- Dabblers, also known as casual players, occasionally visit the site and take it up as an entertainment activity unlike gambling enthusiasts
- As per the National Council on Problem Gambling, almost 2 to 3% of US adults are addicted to gambling
Europe is anticipated to witness the highest growth in the global online poker market mainly driven by the already established favorable policies and regulations for the smooth functioning of the industry along with the presence of key players that are consistently working toward the adoption of better technologies and product innovation along with the addition of new features allowing them to appeal to more users.
Asia-Pacific is projected to become a lucrative market during the forecast period due to the rising population of online gamers along with an increasing number of strategic measures undertaken by international players to target the emerging economies of India, China, and other regional nations. In North America, the growth is driven due to factors like rising popularity strengthened by the ease of accessibility and presence of a large segment of people who enjoy traditional poker.
Market Size in 2022
USD 76.7 Billion
Projected Market Size in 2030
USD 170.12 Billion
CAGR Growth Rate
Key Market Players
GGPoker, Intertops, Paddy Power, Ignition Casino, Ladbrokes, Natural8, Betway, BetOnline, 32Red, Juicy Stakes, TigerGaming, RedKings, PokerMira, SwC Poker., and others.
By Device Type, End-User, and Region
Major Regions Covered
North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East &, Africa
Request customized purchase options to meet your research needs. Explore purchase options
The global online poker market is led by players like Bet365, PokerStars, William Hill, 888poker, Betfair, PartyPoker, Full Tilt Poker, Unibet, Bwin, Bodog, Americas Cardroom, GGPoker, Intertops, Paddy Power, Ignition Casino, Ladbrokes, Natural8, Betway, BetOnline, 32Red, Juicy Stakes, TigerGaming, RedKings, PokerMira, SwC Poker.
- In November 2022, Adda52.com, a market-leading site dedicated to poker and developed by Delta Corp, announced the launch of the 4th edition of its massively popular Poker Night with Stars series open for poker enthusiasts from across the country
- In March 2023, PokerStars merged its Michigan and New Jersey online poker sites leading to the creation of America’s largest network for poker
- In January 2023, PokerStars Michigan became the first operator that received approval from the state’s Gaming Control Board to operate digital multi-state poker
The global online poker market is segmented as follows:
By Device Type
- Social Exuberant
- Gambling Enthusiasts
- North America
- The UK
- Nordic Countries
- Benelux Union
- The Netherlands
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Rest of Southeast Asia
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- The Middle East & Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
Facts & Factors is a leading market research organization offering industry expertise and scrupulous consulting services to clients for their business development. The reports and services offered by Facts and Factors are used by prestigious academic institutions, start-ups, and companies globally to measure and understand the changing international and regional business backgrounds. Our client’s/customer’s conviction on our solutions and services has pushed us in delivering always the best. Our advanced research solutions have helped them in appropriate decision-making and guidance for strategies to expand their business.
Facts & Factors
A - 2108, Sargam,
Pune 411041, India
Email: [email protected]